School Days

I have been interviewing my Dad lately for a project we are working on called "Conversations with my Father." The last section that we completed together had to do with his elementary school days, and it brought back some memories of my own schooling.

I switched schools a lot growing up, so I had quite the different school experience than Caleb (he went to K-12 with basically the same people). I did K-1 at a public school (West TV Elementary), then transferred to a private catholic school for 2-4, then back to West TV for part of 4 and 5-6. Then we moved to Kansas City, where I started Plaza Middle School, and then on to Park Hill High School.

I was a pretty good student, with the only bad marks on my report card for being a "social butterfly" AKA- TOO LOUD. But I do remember one time in about third grade when I got called down to the Principal's office. We had gone on a field trip, and I was singing the "Baby Bumblebee Song" which has a very dramatic "barfing up the baby bumblebee" verse, which actually cause several students to barf on the bus. Looking back, I think those kids would have puked anyway. I mean, come on. I feel like the bus driver was probably to blame for that one!

In Junior High I was the new kid (again), but I liked to get noticed by wearing WEIRD clothes and jewelry. But that was pretty much the worst of my teen rebellion, so my parents got off pretty easy. I was in the ski club, and the creative writing club.

In High School I got very involved in Youthfront, going to camp every summer, and events during the year. I went on my first mission trip to Jamaica when I was a sophomore. I played freshman basketball, tennis my freshman and sophomore years, was involved in Drama some, and involved with club 121. I was really busy with my youth group at Park Hill Baptist Church, as well.

My first paying job, besides babysitting, was working at the concession stand at the pool after school a few hours a day. I was a freshman in high school. And then, as soon as I could drive, I went out and got a "cool" job at the mall, in a clothing store called "The Buckle". The best part of that job, was that I got a big discount on clothes, so I basically gave them back my paycheck each month! Then, my senior year in High School, I thought I should get a job that would help me with my future career, so I worked at a daycare, which I actually really liked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye

Raindrops on Roses and Whisker on Kittens...

Simmin' in the Simmin' Pool!