Resurrection Eggs

Hey!  If anyone is looking for a fun Easter tradition that helps the kiddos focus on the real story of Easter, you might try doing Resurrection Eggs.  I am going to share with you my modified version of them, which I have done with Loralie for the last two years.  I cut the number of eggs down from twelve to six, and cut out some of the more graphic stuff which I didn't think she was ready for.  Since I only have six eggs now, I start two weeks before Easter and go through each egg twice.  The first time I read her the story that goes with each egg, the second time she has to tell me the story that goes with each egg.  I also usually google coloring sheets to go with each of the bible stories, and on Easter Eve we make Resurrection Rolls.  So here is what you need:

6 large plastic eggs
1 leaf
5 dimes
1 cracker/ picture of bread
1 flower
1 cross
bible or children's bible
candy

Here is how to assemble your eggs.  I like to number the eggs with a sharpie, just to help myself remember the order.

Egg #1- Leaf (represents Palm Sunday).  I cannibalized one of my house plants and then used scissors to cut fringe to make it look more like a palm leaf.  If you don't want to do that, just cut one out of paper. The scripture that goes with this egg is Matt 21: 1-11.  I have been using this "Baby's First Easter" book which I purchased at Walmart.  You could also just read the appropriate stories out of any children's bible.





Egg #2- Dimes (represents the 30 pieces of silver).  The passage that corresponds is Matt 26:14-16


Egg #3- Cracker/Bread (represents the last supper).  Read Matt 26:17-30

Egg #4- Flowers (Garden of Gethsemane)  Matt 26:36-46.  Again, I cut up a house plant for a flower, but you could make one out of paper or cut out a picture of one.

Egg #5- Cross (Crucifixion) Luke 22:63-23:49.  I made my cross using two dowel rods.  You could also use a crucifix necklace or a rosary.

Egg #6 Empty (represents the empty tomb)  John 19:38-20:1

So each day you hide one egg and let you littlies find it.  Share the candy while you read the bible story. And if you are feeling a little crafty, I have some corresponding projects below that go with each day.

1. Make Palm Branches
2.  Coin Covered Crosses
3. Rainbow Painted Toast
4. Prayer Sticks
5. Paint Crosses
6.  Rolled Away Stone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye

Raindrops on Roses and Whisker on Kittens...

Simmin' in the Simmin' Pool!